Friday, May 26, 2017

The Middlepause - Marina Benjamin

So I'm not really turning fifty IRL yet. But in my head, the process has already started, and it is MUCH harder than I had expected! Like the author Benjamin says "50 is my mum!"


Which is why I figured the concept of this book was promising; a skilled journalist's musings on menopause and passing the 50th hurdle.

Yet for all that, I don't really recognize myself in Benjamin's experiences, however similar they are to mine.
While she sees the end of her life approaching, I'm personally more childishly chafed at the irritating physical inconveniences of aging. 
While she sees taking hormones as "reckoning with the treatment's desperately misogynistic roots", I was just greatly comforted at coming to terms with those insufferable hot flashes.


Some interesting stuff, though! 
Partly, obviously, on the "desperately misogynistic roots" of hormone treatment (1960s doctor refused to acknowledge cancer risk of his oestrogen treatment, using his wife as a lab rat; her suffering the same fate as most lab rats do).
Also on what someone called Hammond calls "autobiographical memory". Means that "the older you get, the more you notice the recurrence of things you've come across before". This is why the older we get, the faster time seems to pass. Makes sense!

There, I have summed it up for you in a nutshell. You don't need to read it now unless you share Benjamin's feelings about 50. (In which case, you may buy my copy at a very reasonable price.)


No comments:

Post a Comment